Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The Sea...His Passion, My Hidden Fear!



It was one of the night in the year of early 1980’s. A silent night, and it seems darker than usual.  My parents and me on the wide sea in my dad ship.  We stop to rest for the night.  The sea is so calm.  And my mom put me to sleep.  Then in the middle of the night,  I was woken up and somehow feel disoriented.  I was so wet.  It’s like I was playing on the rain.  The ship was shaking terribly and there is the loud hissing sound of wind.  I looked up to the ceiling of the ship and all I can see is darkness and rain pouring over me.  I look around and saw my mom and dad running around the ship, throwing some rice to the sky with an anguish cry to pagan gods for help. ( I didn’t born a Christian. We were pagan before).  It was a terrible chaos.  Than I understand that we were hit by a deadly sea storm.  So deadly that, I would say it was between life and death experience. But somehow, we survived the sea storm. I don’t remember feeling scared that time.  And, as I wake up the next morning, I guess I don’t even remember the memory of the night.  But I grown up feeling scared whenever I heard a loud hissing sound of wind.  It was a few years later in my teenage years that suddenly the memory of the night came back to me. And I ask my mom about it.  My mom told me that, the ceiling of the ship has been flown off by the wind.  That’s why I saw only darkness and rain pouring over me.  But then, the water that I thought was rain pouring over me was actually not rain.  There is no rain that night.  It was actually the sea water that carried by the wind.  The truth is, we could be dead that night.  It’s a miracle we survived.  The ship is 70% wrecked.  My mom said, my dad predicted that if the wind didn’t stop for another few minutes, we were finished!  The shocking truth is, the storm that hit us that night, is not an ordinary sea storm.  It was actually, a TORNADO. 

Mmm…that was one of the reasons why I never really like sea.  I still feel some kind of trauma whenever I think of it.  Not that I do not appreciate the beauty and the serenity of the sea.  Sea and beaches is for sure a beautiful landscape that cannot be denied.  But somehow, the unpredictable rage and the mystery of it are really disturbing and intimidating.  Well, at least for me. J  Whenever I look at the calm surface of the sea, I cannot help to think about what kind of creatures living down there.  Furthermore….I cannot swim!!! L It’s a reason strong enough to fear the sea don’t you think?

But, moving in to this small island, I realize that there is not much activities we can do other than picnic, fishing and fish netting.  All fall to category of activity that is related to sea.  And what make it worse, my husband is really fond of it.  In fact, it is his passion.  So…like it or not I have to learn to face my fear because he enjoy bring me along.  So, like shown in the picture, it’s me trying to be friendly with the sea. 

Have you ever heard of the kingdom of darkness under a sea?  It was said that, it will claim a victim once in a while.  That is why, sometimes people can be drawn in a calm and shallow sea without a logic reason.  Well..in my opinion it’s actually an evil.  As we know, evil can be everywhere.  Not only on sea.  So, no matter what we do, swimming on the sea or flying on the air..the most important thing is to pray for protection from our God.  That is the only guarantee that any kingdom of darkness won’t be able to attack us. Because in Him, we are tightly protected!

Looking back to the memorable night, I wonder what stopped the tornado in time.  We were pagan that time.  We were unbeliever!  But now I believe, God in his love and mercy has been watched over my parents and me.  He loves us and has wonderful plan ahead for us.  Thus, he commanded the tornado to cease, stop…and save us.  And for that, I thank God. 

But still…I am scared of sea.  Huuhuhuhu.

Until Tomorrow guys! 

2 comments:

  1. This is new. I don't remember this, it's either I have totally forgotten it or you have never told me this before. Anyway, it's quite an experience, I hope I will never have myself. I don't really like sea myself, being almost drown twice, and my inability to swim.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, as I said I don't have the recollection of that night until years later in my teenage days. I guess, it was after we were separated in a different school when I remember it back. There was a quite big storm and it cause a loud voice of hissing wind and suddenly the memory come back to me.

    ReplyDelete